Friday, April 15, 2011

My first skirt (the full, gathered skirt)

SL272415-1


I based this skirt on Gertie's (from Gertie's New Blog For Better Sewing) full gathered skirt. I made it a bit shorter than it was supposed to be, used fusible interfacing and failed to slip stitch the waistband, since I can't (or won't) sew by hand. No one looks at the inside of my skirt anyway, right (except for my aunt, who investigates my sewing projects inside and out)? It's made out of a simple cotton and maybe it's not all that clear from the pictures, but the fabric has small golden spots on it. A friend of mine saw me in this skirt and immediately exclaimed "Alice in Wonderland!". Not what I was going for, but I'll take it anyway.


SL272412-1


Zara top | Yesstyle T-strap heels | HEMA pantyhose | Skirt: handmade by me



SL272413-1


SUPPLIES

Fabric: under 8EUR
Fusible interfacing: 0,72EUR
Invisible zipper: 3,30EUR
Thread: 3,10EUR (with still plenty left!)

TOTAL COSTS: approx. 15,10EUR

The pattern is made up out of two rectangles, each needs to be cut out twice (I used a cotton fabric). The dimensions for the waistband are 6 cm on 72 cm (I think I'm going to add one cm next time, though). The rectangle for the skirt body is 57 on 105. I think I'm going for a little less gathers on the next skirt (gorgeous floral fabric on its way!).

The photographs are terrible, I know. I guess that is either b/c
a) I made my little brother my photographer
b) We photographed inside with no natural light at all since it was already dark outside
OR
c) I'm just a terrible model (I think my awkward smile already gives away I'm not used to this)

6 comments:

  1. That skirt is heavenly! I wish I had a sewing machine and the ability to, y'know, sew. Beyond that fantastic skirt, I am really loving your shoes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky enough to have a birthday coming up when my interest in making my own clothes first started, so my aunts and grandmother bought me my first sewing machine, so maybe you could also drop a little hint when yours is coming up ;p

    Also, don't let your inability to sew at the moment scare you! I was amazed at how soon this skirt came together, and up until then I had done nothing but hemming and making a cell phone pouch, so it's possible even with little experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a pretty skirt! Love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much :)

    I made two more skirts last week, so pics are coming up as soon as my camera battery is reloaded!

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty skirt..and you're a great model..^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. L O V E this skirt! it's the absolute perfect shape. I'm getting back to sewing but it's been a long time and I'm a little nervous, I'd like to make a skirt just like that with bottons going down the front.

    Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    Virginie

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, I'd love to hear from you!